What to watch this week

Posted on Updated on

The sports world is buzzing right now. College football is in the midst of the BCS bowls, Big 12 basketball has just begun, and the NBA is in full swing. With so many games going on, sports fan might be overwhelmed by what to watch. So here are my can’t-miss games for any sports fan in the Kansas City area, along with my predictions.

Cotton Bowl Kansas State vs. Arkansas January 6, 7:00 PM (all times are central)

We gave our whole breakdown of the matchup in our preview. This kind of game has huge implications for all Kansas City sports fans. If Kstate wins cue the statuses, tweets, and chants by KState fans claiming their team is the best ever and they should have been in a BCS bowl. If Kstate loses cue the statuses, tweets, and chants by KU and Missouri fans claiming Kstate is overrated and didn’t deserve a BCS bowl bid. Either way, you’re going to have a headache, so might as well watch the game.

With the recent absence of Tim Tebow heroics, look for Collin Klein to stand up, fulfilling his role as The Real Tim Tebow. Later in the game, I wouldn’t be surprised to hear him humming some hymns on the sideline. Meanwhile, all Arkansas and SEC fans (besides Florida fans) will be having nightmares about Tebow and his domination of the Conference for two years as a Florida Gator.

Kansas State 35 Arkansas 31

BCS National Championship Alabama vs. LSU January 9, 7:30 PM

I’ll admit it. I fell asleep watching the first matchup between these two teams, but this time around I vow to stay awake. I look at it this way, since there has been absolutely ZERO defense in these bowl games, a change in pace and style to a more defensive game might be refreshing.

Heading into the National Championship game, sources tell me that Alabama held open tryouts in hopes of finding a kicker. Turns out their two specialists (they have a long range kicker and short range kicker) both can’t kick field goals, as Alabama missed four field goals in the first meeting between these two teams. Unfortunately, I predict this one to be a low scorer as well, and without a decent field goal kicker, I don’t see Alabama winning this game. Look for Honey Badger to score in some way– punt return, pick six, fumble recovery—Honey Badger doesn’t care, just as long as he scores.

LSU 20 Alabama 13

College basketball: (22) Kansas State at (15) Kansas January 4, 7:00 PM

There’s not a better time to be a Kansas City sports fan than during the Big 12 Basketball season, and this game is a prime example why. Kansas has been under-performing for a KU basketball team, while Kansas State has exceeded expectations with only one loss on a season that was dubbed as a rebuilding year by experts.

I’m surprised there has yet to be a Parental Advisory warning before Kansas State games, because Frank Martin’s stare might just be the scariest thing I’ve ever seen—little kids should not be able to see that. However, The Stare will not be able to handle the man-child and athletic wonder that is Thomas Robinson. Plus, Allen Fieldhouse might just be the hardest place to play in the Big 12. Without a consistent scoring threat for Kansas State and a 20 point 10 rebound game from T-Robinson, I see Kansas defending its home court and winning big.

KU-75 KState-62

College basketball: (13) Michigan at (12) Indiana January 5, 8:00 PM

While this game may not have local connections, Indiana is one of the most entertaining teams to watch in college basketball. They have already beaten a then #1 team, Kentucky, and then #2 team, Ohio State, this season and have rejuvenated the dying Indiana basketball program, making Indiana basketball relevant again. Likewise, the Michigan basketball team and fans are reminiscing about the good days of the Fab 5 with the strong play of their team. Both programs have returned to prominence. This should be a close one, but I give the nod to Indiana. Playing at home and riding a big win against Ohio State Indiana will continue to win the big game.

Indiana 65 Michigan 60

College basketball: (6) Missouri at (22) Kansas State January 7, 12:30 PM

Marcus Denmon looks to lead the Missouri Tigers past the Wildcats

Even if Kansas State loses at Kansas on January 4, this game will be very important to the Wildcats. As I see it, this week looks like a make it break it for Kansas State athletics sports. Win and the glory is yours. Lose and you’ll be sure to hear it.

One reason I’m hesitant to jump on the Missouri band wagon is, as one of my least favorite announcers, Clark Kellogg would call it, their “spurtability.” (Yes, I just quoted Clark Kellogg. Everyone please take note.) Denmon and the Tigers can put up bunches of points in bursts, but if the game is slowed down and minimized to a half court game, I think teams can give Mizzou fits. However, Denmon and the Tigers should be too much to handle defensively for the Wildcats which will help generate some offensive points and ultimately a win.

Missouri- 79 Kansas State-70

And if you have more time, these are some other great games to check out also.

Allstate Sugar Bowl Michigan v. Virginia Tech January 3, 7:30 PM